Monday, June 11, 2012

Make a Wish...

Today, the beau and I decided to make the most of a decent winter day in Melbourne and go for a walk along Merri Creek to Dight's falls near Collingwood. You could have been fooled into believing it was a summer day, except for the nine degree breeze that was gently moving the fog across the bright rays of sunshine. The walk was peaceful and quiet, a few children on bicycles rode by while their dogs excitedly ran in and out of the cool creek. While the walk was beautiful, it was what we discovered about halfway along our journey that really made the day. Just off the Merri Creek Trail, near Clifton Hill, there is a partially overgrown labyrinth made up of pieces of bluestone, based on an ancient Cretan design. According to a nearby plaque, walking the labyrinth is an excellent form of "active meditation".





We didn't get a chance to walk the labyrinth because something in the background caught my eye...



A wishing tree covered in wishes from all kinds of people. Some of the wishes were serious, some funny, and many sad. But they were all beautiful. I photographed some of my favourites..












This was such a magical thing to discover so close to the city yet so far removed. The wishes were beautiful to read and I was glad so many people had decided to share their hopes. I wanted to write my own wish and to my absolute surprise (and luck) we found a pen and one last piece of dry paper in a plastic bag under the wishing tree. I wrote my wish on one side and my beau wrote his on the other. We attached a string and tied it next to a few new leaves emerging on a low branch...

If you're ever walking the Merri Creek Trail near Clifton Hill, keep your eye out for an overgrown labyrinth and a magical wishing tree...







1 comment:

  1. What a truly magical place! I love labyrinths and have been fortunate to walk two. There is only one on the island where I live and the other one I walked in Toronto. Coincidentally, both were in the grounds of churches named after the Trinity. I hope your wishes come true.
    Luna

    ReplyDelete